Handel's Messiah

I sang in choirs when I was in High School. For some reason, I know that most High School choirs were equated with geeky things like marching band or baton twirling (no offense), however, mine wasn't really like that. A girl from our house group said to me that she was a "choir geek" in High School, that's where I get that from, but there were a bunch of "cool" athletes in our High School choir and cheer leading princesses, at least my first year. I'm not saying I wasn't a geek, I surely was, but choir was a good experience all around. Except the one year that I made it into a regional choir and didn't practice the songs. It was painfully obvious, and the directors were not very happy with me. Needless to say, I didn't make it in the next year. Well, that's neither here nor there.



Last night I sang with a bunch of military personnel in their annual Handel's Messiah. What a great experience! We've been practicing for awhile. It always takes brain power to stay on pitch and follow the score (Messiah is especially difficult), coupled with the fact that you're surrounded with a tenor section and a soprano section, which happened to me last night. I didn't know I was going to be right in the center, either.


Ed was the crazy director. He has been here for 30 years, in Germany. I thought I made it clear I had to be closer to the door in case I was going to pass out. :) I kept reminding myself not to lock my knees. There were a couple times in there I thought I was going to fall over. I just prayed that I would not faint. Keane was kicking the whole time. I was tapping my feet and he was tapping my ribs. It's was great.



My husband was so cute running around the chapel taking pictures from all angles. If you have never heard Handel's Messiah, lay aside your apprehensions and go see a performance. If the choir does the whole thing (or most of it), you get a clear picture of the birth, life, death, and resurrection of Christ. The whole thing is scripture. It's really is powerful.



Comments

Lisa said…
What a neat experience Sara! I have seen Messiah once-the whole thing- and it was powerful (and long). How exciting too, that little Keane is almost here!
...and long :)
for sure.