It's been a Year.....

... and we're still kickin'.




I asked John if it felt like it had been a year to him and he said "yep." I thought that was kind of rude, but really, we've been through too much for it not to seem like a year has actually gone by, but on the other hand, I feel like I got married last week.

He is the 2nd best choice I've made in my life. They say there are only two choices you really have to worry about, salvation, and your choice of a mate. I'm glad I didn't screw up on this choice. Well, sense there are only two, I would really like to ace the test.

"So how are you going to celebrate?" you might ask. Well, our actual 1st year anniversary is on Sunday, but I've been planning since November to take him to the Ritter Hotel for a night, and tonight just seemed like the night to do it.




The Ritter Hotel was built by some textile guy and his wife. Well, when the French came in, way back when, they left it unscathed and everything around it scathed, apparently, whatever that means. Toward the top, written in Latin, I believe, are the words that mean "Glory to God." Anyways, every time we go into town with a guest John beckons them to the building to look at what it says. He loves it, so I reserved a room last year near Thanksgiving and kept it a secret until last week when I couldn't figure out where to park and how to get him there without him realizing where we were going. I thought about a blindfold, but that seemed a little extravagant, and I couldn't guarantee that I wasn't going to get him killed by trying to climb stairs out of a parking garage or stumble along cobblestone with a blindfold on. Maybe I can try to do bodily harm on another day, but on our anniversary it didn't seem appropriate.

So that's the plan! Can't wait. I made a carrot cake to make up for our flop of a wedding carrot cake. We'll consume champagne, bread and cheese (a typical German meal) and we'll.....none of your business.



I love you, John.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Congratulations!

The hotel is one of my favorite places in Heidelberg too. We always talked about staying there, just never actually got around to it. I hope it's as wonderful as it seems. Enjoy your time together!
Unknown said…
Congrats! Now, I need to hear the story about the wedding carrot cake. Funny, cuz we had a "groom's cake" that was carrot at our wedding too. Although we would never have know if our cake was a flop or not because we never tasted the cake! (We should have though because we heard it was very good! :) )
our groom's cake, I guess, was great. Like you guys, John and I didn't have any...funny. The other cake's frosting, though it looked great, was really thick with a glue texture, which made the cake not so good, but I like I said, I don't have first hand knowledge.
Kelly Glupker said…
Congratulations and cute post. Your ending made me laugh. Hope you all had a great time.
By the way, how did you end up in Germany?
happy anniversary!

i talked to brad adn theresa anderson last night. we were marveling at how they "set you guys up."

i love you... maybe jas and i will come visit you guys this summer.

janelle
Unknown said…
Hope you enjoyed your time at that awesome place! I forgot to wish you a Happy Anniversary! Wish we could have been there to help you celebrate your wedding. Oh well!