Domestic Challenges



I've always been known to be "laid back." Laid back in relationships, laid back concerning my future, laid back in schooling (it took me 10 years to graduate), laid back, laid back. When I was learning how to ski at age 6 I would slump between my father's knees while he held me up. No effort. I guess I was thinking it would come naturally.

Welp, I married my opposite. For example, if we have a dinner date across the street, he prints out 3 maps to guide our way there. Google earth, yahoo maps....I'm being silly, but you get the idea. I don't know how many times I've gotten lost depending on my instincts, but it seems like the moment I try, things fall apart.

Take today for example. John and I have been discussing finances and we are spending WAY too much on food. No details need to be released, just the idea that we need to cut back drastically. John has had a hard time "giving over the reigns", if you will, to my full control of the grocery shopping. He likes grocery shopping, whereas, I find what I want and make a b-line for the fastest register. John looks at every label. If bananas had a label, he would read it. Saturday shopping is quite an event, but I like the bonding.

Today I was a free bird. I thought that I would go to our favorite haunts and really scope out the situation, 'cause up until now, I've been ______(fill in the blank) laid back. So, notepad, overly active pen, and my shopping basket, I wrote down the costs of our main food items from a couple of our grocery stores. Hey! That's pretty eye opening! I came to some conclusions. Like, don't buy fabric softener for 4,00 Euros + when you can go next door and buy it for 2,00. The idea is simple, really, but this is not where it is complicated for me.

I need some ideas on how to cut back, even when it includes having guests over A LOT. We love it. Lord willing, that won't change. It's our ministry.

Keep in mind, we're not looking to live like college students. Macaroni and Cheese 4 times a week won't fly with my big boy. He hates cereal (there's a breakfast challenge for ya), needs low cholesterol for his linage of heart problems, and he prefers organic products (as well as I). There is a balance somewhere, I know it. Any ideas?

After all of my efforts today to be responsible, I came home to find another something, something Euro bill for my surgery again. :( Money has wings, I tell ya. Why not be laid back?


Comments

D and S said…
Ok, you asked. Here's some ideas.
1. Plan your menus for 2 weeks. Write out a detailed list of ingredients needed. That way you're not just "whim-buying" at the grocery store and you can know that what you're having for dinner all of the ingredients are already in the cupboard.
2. Don't buy organic things that have "hard shells" on them. For instance, coconuts or bananas. They are less likely to have been overly contaminated. Decide what is really important to you to be organic and what doesn't matter, for instance organic cornstarch.
3. Give up some things like fabric softener. ;) Do your clothes really need to be that soft?
4. You don't have to be fancy-schmancy to entertain. As long as it tastes good, do it. There are some great pasta dishes that look great, taste great and are fairly inexpensive.
5. Plan to entertain. See #1. Add it to your menu.


Does Jon like oatmeal? That's great for the cholesterol. Get the old-fashioned, it's higher in fiber and throw some frozen blueberries in it for antioxidants.

Sorry about another bill. What a mess!

Ok, I'll TTYL! Yup, I'm swearing again! :) (Talk to you later!)

Charlize, I mean Selena :)
true, oatmeal is great and he loves it, he just doesn't love it everyday, who can blame him?
cream of wheat? I don't know if I get that here. I try to spread out the cholesterol eggs, and we like to get bread from the bakery. beyond that?...nothin.
D and S said…
eggs aren't bad for your cholesterol. What about a nice easy whole grain pancake mix or french toast? Those are relatively quick and easy. Throw some blueberries in the pancake mix and you have your fruit and grains right there. Dan pretty much eats either granola or oatmeal during the week every morning and then the weekends I make the nice big breakfasts. That's what works for us. Just wait until you throw kids in the mix!!! :) Have a great busy day! Way to go making a nice breakfast!
Anonymous said…
All of my advice has already been given!

We actually found this fabulous place yesterday called "The Fresh Market." It was like walking into food heaven. They had about half of their spices in small plastic bags, so you could open it up and smell how tasty they were! Their fruits and vegetables were absolutely perfect. They even had tons of "Indian" stuff, so I'll be looking on here for some of your Indian recipes and trying to make those some time soon. They even had a great (and not to expensive compared to everywhere else here) wine selection.

Don't be discouraged, and become a planner. That has helped me. I'm definitely a plan my meals in advance person, at least for dinner, everything else can be dealt with, but dinner is a must.

I'm glad I get to read your guys stories online! I miss hearing them in person.

Megan
two good replys!!!

Selena- I forgot about granola, and I have a good recipe for it, too. yeah, we like to have brunch on Sats. and that usually consists of banana oatmeal pancakes, or the like. No cholesterol in eggs?

Megan-
Sounds like a pretty cool food store. Definitely try the Indian if you can. Chicken is always good to start with, cause you can hardly screw it up.
ooo...ooo...ooo I'll tell John about the wine. He is convinced Americans are clueless when it comes to that stuff.
When you start a blog, let us know!
BTW, I think that John and I may find ourselves out your way next January. I have an Aunt that lives in Atlanta. John wants to meet my biological father. That's his sister that lives there.
Miss you!
Unknown said…
How come I didn't get a "miss you?" I'm offended. Just kidding. :)

Yep, that's the latest findings. Eggs are fine for high cholesterol people. You should check it out.

We love granola so I make it often. our fave is with almonds, coconut and craisins!

TTYL
it goes without saying ;) seriously.

Megan is a new friend who just moved back to the States and left me here on Bratwurst Island.

looks like I'm going to have to pick up my oatmeal and baking sheets again.

:)
Anonymous said…
Sara,
I don't know how big of a yard you have, but you should try your hand at growing some veggies, herbs and a fruit or two. We did watermelons last year and they did so well. This year were trying canteloupe, strawberries, cucumber and etc. Love ya'
Deb P.
nothin' but cement blocks. :) Apartment. :)

Though I did grow tomatoes in a pot last summer!

one day. it is one of my goals.