Twenty-Ten UPDATED

Well, I'm officially twenty-ten, better known as thirty, but when denial comes into play, strange terms are applicable! It was one of my best birthdays ever, thanks to my loving husband. He went out of his way to make the day special. He totally made up for our engagement day (that's a story told on an individual basis).
The day started when he woke me up with a fantastic present. I had needed a nice jacket, if ever I was going to ski in Europe, (I won't be able to show my face on anymore slopes if I don't). So, he came through with flying colors. I think this is my first North Face item ever. Mighty fine product. Thanks, baby.

The other nice thing was that a couple of friends came over unexpectedly to give me a gift. This is super surprising, because Germans don't usually do that, you have to book months in advance to make an appointment to get together. Probably because Velo is from Spain, things work differently in their house. Thank you Velo and Gaby for the flowers and "new wine".

Over a week ago John contacted a few people through e-mail. He wanted some of my friends and family to send me a video wishing me a Happy Birthday (isn't that sweet?) Well, my parents were like, "we don't have sound on our camera, and none of us know sign language." John was disappointed at first because he wasn't getting much of a response, but my Aunt came through, and got her whole third grade class to make posters for me and make a short video. There's the world's greatest Aunt for ya! Thanks Liz, (She's the one on the right) and thank you 3rd graders! I guess my church tried to get something together, but we'll see...(computer problems).
10/25 Update- The two from FRBC and the Pellascios came through. I only feel okay about letting you see the church one, but I was excited to see them.


The day ended when John told me we were going to go on a hike. I was pumped (I like simple pleasures). He
was very precise about what time we were going to leave the house, so I said "okay." We drove through what is called the Pfalz (prounounced "PFaals") in Germany. It is beautiful country, but it was getting dark, and I was getting worried. The other peculiar thing was that he was carrying his cell phone around with him and he avoids that at all costs. He was trying to find this place called "Devil's Stone." Alas, it was not being found and I was thinking "lost, woods, no flashlight, and wild boars, let's go." So we left, but he was stalling and I was beginning to wonder, until our friend Yvonne and "the kids" started walking out of the woods carrying candles, and singing Happy Birthday. All three little girls attempted to wish me Happy Birthday in English, gave up, and wished me well in German. So Cute. We had Indian Chicken Curry with Spinach (John cooked) and soufle () at Ansgar and Yvonne's. This is A and Y at our wedding.


Finally, and the most special, was my husband wrote on a million "post-its" God promises to me out of the Bible and stuck them all over the house; on the refrigerator, the mirror, on my purse, over the sink, on the computer, on the phone, even by the toilet. What a guy! Totally blew me away. God is so good to give me such a husband.

"For I know the plans I have for you, declares t
he Lord, plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29


So, if I have to be the first to wade in the waters of thirty-dom among my female college friends, sobeit. I can safely say "the water's fine, come on in." I don't feel too different.

Comments

Shyla said…
hey sara!! Welcome to the world of blogging!! Great to see that you all are doing great!
Happy 20+10th!! You look Mahvelous dahling!!
D and S said…
What a beautiful day! I'm sorry I missed it! I love that you called it "Twenty-Ten". That will be my motto next year! :) Birthdays can be so tricky and I think John did a great job of making it so special for you! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!
Katie said…
Yahoo!! I'm thrilled to read your blog and see your awesome pics. What a great guy you have; I'm glad your twenty-tenth birthday was a good one. Your apt. looks so cute from the outside - very European/picturesque. Do you enjoy living in Europe? I'm praying that I will. We will hopefully make it over to your neck of the woods sometime during our stay in Scotland.

I'm glad you're in. love - katie
Happy birthday, Sara! I'm so happy for you to have such a sweet husband:) I wish you many more adventurous birthdays to come!
Anonymous said…
sara, you are such a good writer. seriously, i enjoy reading what you write. i am glad the "water is fine". i will see you there soon. john looks great with his flavor saver by the way. i am glad you had a happy birthday, it sounds really special. love you, janelle
Anonymous said…
Sarah, I wish you nothing but the happiest of birthdays!
Love, Deb
Anonymous said…
beautiful jacket!