MUSIC STANDARDS...or something to think about

Wow! this is an issue I have struggled with on and off for the last ten years after returning to the Lord. So "what's the deal?", you might ask. Oh I don't know, just a few new facts to adjust my viewpoint, but let me preface....

I hate soapboxes (referring to preaching) especially about things that aren't scriptural. Maybe "hate" is a strong word, but I strongly dislike it when a preacher takes the liberty to draw a hard, fast line, where there is no hard, fast line in scripture. I think it is verbal abuse, and damaging to the cause of Christ, and I'll chalk it up as that. I can deal with principles, but that is a far cry from opinions or personal experiences leading the speaker to draw such a line. (Alright, so there's my soapbox!)

Now, let's address the issue of "standards". Is it in the Bible, anywhere? Mmmm...nope. In order to be balanced about this, I will say that it is a useful tool to be on guard, or vigilant, as our Lord would have us be against the devil. For those whose heads are "in the sand," he is out to destroy us, or make us virtually useless for the kingdom of God.

Which brings me to the topic of occultism in rock music. Go ahead, get it out, "OH brother!, please tell me you're not going to get into this wrong beat stuff." Are you done? I'm not gonna waste time there, I promise.

My husband came upon this documentary on line. Okay guys, this thing is so scary I won't even watch it. I just have my husband relay the details (not the gory ones). It's not from a ___(fill in the blank of the school of your choice) fundementalist. He's an ex-rocker who just put together facts. The whole thing is documentation, either video or otherwise and scripture.

I use to think that satanic worship was reserved for those such as Black Sabboth or the soul seller Jimmy Page, which I could avoid easily, NOT so. Friends, pretty much all big names in most big generas of music, yeah, this includes Country (Brittany Spears, Michael Jackson, Kurt Cobain...) have ties, but here's the thing. (No, John and I are not running to our CD cabinet, there isn't a huge bon fire on our terrace.) ANYONE who has made it big, according to this video presentation of multiple parts (Madonna, also, though she claims to be Jewish) says that "there's a point of no turning back, and that they are controlled by something else." Michael Jackson says it's "not him" (I'm am totally paraphrasing) on stage. Okay, we all know he is weird, but you can't deny that he is very famous, and one of the many "very famous" who are trapped (I, personally hope, Jack Johnson is not involved ;). These people believe that there is "no turning back." That, to me, is very sad.

"So what's changed?" Glad you asked. This means, for me, I can not sit down and enjoy "Thriller Night" (like I ever did) with the same pazzazz, knowing how these people suffer. Satan's got them dupped into thinking they have no hope, they've sold their souls, that's it. Yes, God is Sovereign, but it takes the frosting off the cake, if you know what I mean.

"It is better to listen to the rebuke of a wise man Than for one to listen to the song of fools." Ecclesiastes 7:5

I'm not quite sure how this whole parenting thing will work (if ever I have kids), and it's a bit overwhelming, but I'm gonna ask them to be careful what "life songs" they listen to and keep in mind what these people are going through for fame, and (I know this is not very gentle, but I'll probably say it, none the less) don't be an idiot.

Comments

Anonymous said…
"MCHGEE"!!! First let me say, I totally love your new blog. I specifically remember someone (who will remain nameless to protect, uh... something?) who said "blogging is dumb". And this, well it's just lovely. Your pics are breath-taking and I literally thank God for you and for what He has done for You and John. The music article, if i could call it that, was thought provoking. I have often/ and still wonder about music and it's power. Now that you've pointed those things out, I can totally recall "performers" who have mentioned that and they seem to typically say.."there is nothing like the power/feeling when i'm on stage, it is my life" kinda deal. I guess I could relate that to other careers as well; racing, sports, business men, etc. But I am curious for more of the "article?" you were talking about. Maybe you could email it to me.
D and S said…
Sara-Are you getting my comments at all? I mean, not like they're worth a million dollars or anything! (Just curious) So anyways, this is a wonderful medium for you to express yourself. I never knew you were such a writer. Well, sure I did. In the age of snail mail, we used to exchange letters. Anyways....what you said was very thought provoking and let me tell you things change a lot when YOUR children that God has entrusted YOU with enter your life. You start thinking about a lot of things! (PS, Is this an announcement???)
Anonymous said…
I'm curious to see this documentary...can you put a link to it on your blog?
Deb
Thanks for some thought-provoking comments; we definitely spend a lot of time talking about how we'll handle music and such when our boys hit that age- with a lot of prayer for His wisdom and grace!
Anonymous said…
yo mcghie
its been awhile
i guess since my somewhat unintelligent choices at your wedding weekend
but honestly, i only felt guilty because of your parents/family
i guess this isn't really a comment on your blog, but i think i lost your email address or i just don't have it with me
anyway, this is my chance to clear the air-i shouldn't have done that there, so i'm sorry.
anyway, let's ,move on to happier things-i'm pregnant
there. due in may-email me-amanda
I love you (again), Amanda. Thanks for being sensitive about that. It's done.

I don't have any such annoucement, though we are trying! After sugery, I had to wait awhile, but why do I get this funny feeling that I can't have kids? I felt the same way about getting married, like it was never gonna happen. Sometimes I wish I wasn't such a girl!