Fort Kochin (Corrected)


I know this is tough to take, but it looks like I have 3 more posts on India, including this one. I am having a Pampered Chef party tonight, so I really should be cleaning my house, but, nevertheless, "for the sake of the call", I press on. House later.



The first time we went out to Fort Kochin, (it's one of five islands surrounding Kochin), we took the ferry. We waited for 20 minutes in the hot sun for tickets, just to get on an ancient ferry, to my dismay, and watch solid ground fade in the distance. I am not paranoid! Okay, maybe, but I couldn't get polluted water and sharks out of my head, for whatever reason. The picture above is one that I took. Can you see the irony in it? Interesting.




John took this picture of me by one of the bungalows that has been there for years. I always thought bungalows were little huts. Well, I was wrong. I'm not sure of all the history behind Fort Kochin, but it is the outermost island on the west side of India near the tip, so you can imagine there was a lot of traffic there for awhile, historically speaking.

In fact, Vasco De Gama was buried there (then he was moved by the Portuguese). We went to go see his tomb. While we were walking toward it, we met these girls and the school boys above, who were all too eager to get their picture taken by a "white girl". I felt really loved.

I took this picture of John out in front of the church. Vasco, the man, was a great explorer. Apparently he made a pit stop in Kochin.


This is a Kashi Cafe (link on the side). We enjoyed a few visits here. I especially enjoyed the iced espresso with milk and sugar syrup. Also, the chocolate cake wasn't too shabby.


This is the cool couple that owns the joint (in the middle). Dori (from Michigan) likes Art and supports it through art shows and galleries. One gallery happens to be a part of the cafe. Anoop wrote a book called 'The Queen of the Arabian Sea (The Legend of Kochi)'. Good book. He signed one for us and gave it as a gift.


Last, but not least, Fort Kochin was home to a bunch of Jews after the Romans defeated them, and they were scattered, way back when (not sure, exactly). They made themselves a cozy little nest off the coast of India. We got to visit one of the synagogues (sorry no pics allowed).

Are you wondering why Kochin is spelled differently in the picture above? Well, it's simple, the local language doesn't use Greek symbols (that doesn't make sense). They don't use the alphabet as we know it, in the west, so it's pretty much up to the author, how he wants it spelled. I wish it had been like that in 4th grade. Kinda flexible!

Comments

AnneB said…
Hey Girl!! I actually was on your blog the other day and couldn't figure out what Mark had changed our username and password to so I could not post. I LOVE reading your blog and today I was reading through some of the old posts on my blog and found a post from you! I am so excited for you and am looking forward to staying in touch via the blogging world. Anne
hello Anne! I thought I wasn't cool enough for ya! Just kidding.
did you notice the correction? Not Greek symbols, am I getting that confused with numbers?