Dubai, and "Signing Out"


United Emirates was started by 5 or so, kings. They decided to get together and start a country. These guys are so rich that the country doesn't have taxes. Maybe you've heard of Palm Island? The city of Dubai is as old as I am, okay, okay, that's only 30 years. Anyway, I guess there is a tennis court on top of this hotel that is literally on the water. Andre Agassi played here. Personally, I would lose too many tennis balls over the side to make it worth my while.



I'm rounding "third" and heading for home, but first, I promised Logan Mulder some videos. This first one is of some boys playing cricket with some simples rules given by John.



Photo Sharing - Upload Video - Video Sharing - Share Photos



I want to capsulate the whole trip. I hope that the impression upon you of my experience is broad. I hope that you don't read into phrases or moods (i.e. from the journal) and base your opinions on that. Instead I hope you have seen the overall "picture", if you will, a whole, which we know entails every emotion, convenience or inconvenience, joy or sorrow, elation or depression. From here on out, are exclusively excerpts from the journal. Thanks for your attention, I hope you enjoyed it. Sometime soon, I'll try to put up pictures from our Ski Retreat last weekend in Switzerland.


Journal-

I never imagined that a vacation would take so much out of me...

This experience in a foreign country has been difficult, mostly because I depend on sympathy...Every time I mention the woes of chaotic traffic, or the overwhelming pollution, or the adventures of showering, or not wearing what I want to, I am seeking a sympathetic ear from an Indian. Now does that make sense? Even my husband can just nod. I can kind of relate to Jesus being in a foreign land.

Jesus was in enemy territory. How could he find a sympathetic ear concerning the sin of idolatry, or the wickedness of hypocrisy, or the ugliness of lying, or even the fact that this place was ugly compared to heaven etc., etc. Vague smiles and a slight nod is all He would get. The truth is He wasn't looking for sympathy.

My issues aren't concerning sin, but culture. I shouldn't be looking for sympathy either. I am in a foreign land, but I can take Jesus' example and depend on God for comfort.


My niece Amy, and Jessy, her mom.




Fanning grills.



Stuffed.


Yesterday we had a picnic/bbq. The food was awesome! I wrote down a couple of recipes I'm sure to incorporate into my cooking.

It was a great day, kids playing, food preparing (some issues with the charcoal) and songs singing. The day ended with John fulfilling his promise to me. He bought me a pair of gold earrings... Yep, still a spoiled girl.



Photo Sharing - Upload Video - Video Sharing - Share Photos



A couple of tigers. My nephew Josh and his buddy.


Photo Sharing - Upload Video - Video Sharing - Share Photos



My niece Hannah, winning the race.




...We fly out today. Lord willing, if we don't fall out of the sky, we'll be back home at 6:30 tonight.


(If you want to read the whole story of India from beginning to end, you have to click on February in the archives)

Comments

dear sara,

those are really nice videos. your voice is such a contrast from johns voice. you two are an awesome couple. i love your new picture for your profile.

i enjoyed reading all about your trip to india. i enjoy reading updated blogs.

i love you,

janelle
Sarah C said…
Wow - Dubai! John and I have talked about living there!!! Are you ever right about the foreign land thing. Church is the only place I feel at home (that's good, right?) I have to guard myself against the complaining and selfishness I find so frustrating in others =)
Thanks for blogging - I love reading your stories. . . maybe someday we'll come out and see you =)
dear sara,

i put an update on my post if you are interested in reading it.

love you,

janelle