Turkey Day

HAPPY THANKSGIVING

FROM GERMANY!




So some of you might be wondering what we did for Thanksgiving out here where they don't celebrate that American holiday. Well....I think that distance made me more appreciative of the holiday, than if I was at home. Last night John and I told eachother what we were thankful for and went for an SAP Big Band concert for free. It was great. This morning was special just spending some extra time with the Lord, 'cause what I would have been doing on a Thursday morning was cancelled.
Don't get the idea John has never celebrated Thanksgiving, he has. He has American friends that use to live around here, but we've never celebrated together. Last Saturday we went over to a couple's house for a Thanksgiving supper. Kathy (as pictured with her husband above) is from Michigan. We had a great time eating and playing games. We had great food, and I just had to bring a salad. This was a far cry from last year, when I got up at 6:00 a.m. to make dinner. Yeah, not every year will that happen. Thank you Harold and Kathy Schmit for the invitation, and Alexandra for all of your help too!

Today we went "on base" with a friend of ours. His wife teaches my Judges Bible study "on base." Heidleberg has a pretty big military base, and it is a military tradition to go to the dinning commons for Thanksgiving dinner. Everybody does it, and so did John and I!


Another tradition is that all of the officers serve the military families. They had every kind of meat under the sun. Chicken, turkey, roast, ham, crab, you name it, and the food was great. I even had egg nogg, not too sure they are going to have that in Germany come Christmas. John and I loaded up our plates and enjoyed the live music. "How loud can Americans get?" (Mike Strohm). He and his wife are great people. Thank you for taking us Mike! We had a great time.

Check out: gobblegobble

I miss you family and love you!

Comments

Sauers said…
Hey Sara!
I'm so glad you found my blog so that I could find yours! It's good to catch up with what's going on with you! I can't believe you had to have surgery! That's crazy! It's awesome how God gives us what we need and no more than we can handle! I'm glad you guys are doing well in Germany! Keep in touch!
Ruth
Nica said…
HAPPY THANKSGIVING! Aren't you glad "thanksgiving" is something we can (and ought to) do anywhere and at anytime? :-)